Tuesday 31 March 2020

Being ourselves.

It's TDOV today – apparently – the International Trans Day of Visibility. That's nice; although being visible when we're all in coronavirus lockdown does pose a challenge or two. I could perhaps stand at the front door and shout at the sporadic passers-by. Or perhaps not.

Instead, I'll flag a post from last month by C.J., the hero of Lori Duron's blog Raising My Rainbow (and who I mentioned back in 2016).

C.J. is now thirteen, very visible, and absolutely knows what's what:

For as long as I can remember, I’ve liked all the stuff in the “pink aisles.” I’ve always known I’m different. I’ve always known that I’m not a “typical boy.” And, I’ve never really cared that I’m different. There is no part of me – not even a single part – that wants to be a “typical boy.” The thought of having to play baseball or wear boys’ clothes makes me cringe with sadness. It makes me feel like I’d be forced to do something I don’t want to do. Kids shouldn’t be forced to be something or someone who they aren’t. Kids should be able to be themselves.

Yes, indeed. A hundred times indeed.

My own blog has, to a large degree, been about me working things through. Now I look back at older posts and they make me smile, wryly or wistfully as appropriate, seeing myself struggling with myself, with problematic issues of identity, theory and language. And yet, take away the need for justification and there's nothing very difficult about any of this.

People should be able to be themselves.

Quite so. And when – if – you've made it as far as that, C.J. has further straightforward wisdom for you:

If I can see a way to make life better and easier for gender creative people, I always try to do it. Being kind, sticking up for others and not being a jerk. That’s what life is all about.

And yes, I could certainly work on all those too.

4 comments:

  1. Good post. And reminding us of the inspiring CJ was very apt. Happy TDOV to you, and stay safe and well at this awkward time. Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...I could perhaps stand at the front door and shout..."

    I'm afraid I did chuckle at the beautifully absurd idea of this. The bold out there F U statement delivered from the confort of one's own door step. :-)

    Joyful imagery aside, I'm so with you on the sentiment and also wisdom of the shared words.

    ReplyDelete